Police Communications Operator I
Level – I
Job Family – Public and Environmental Safety
FLSA Status –Non-Exempt
Pay Grade – 20
Salary Plan –TU2N
Job Code – 001111
This is non-sworn law enforcement work operating telephone, radio, and computer systems in a public safety communications center involving computerized radio dispatching.
Examples of Work:
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Receives and evaluates calls from the public requesting police assistance of both emergency and non-emergency natures.
- Inputs and transmits call information using computer terminal or manual card system. Refers callers to appropriate agencies or extensions.
- Contacts appropriate parties to notify of complaints and/or actions required.
- Operates two way radio to dispatch calls to public safety units and to receive and communicate information.
- Uses computer terminal to update and monitor the unit status.
- Transmits requests for emergency services and retrieves various data and records.
- Checks driver’s license records, vehicle registrations, stolen article files, warrants, criminal histories, and missing person lists.
- Monitors alarm systems and notifies personnel upon activation.
- Prepares various logs, reports and forms.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification:
State certification on the NCIC/FCIC computer system
This position does not typically supervise.