Animal Care Technician I
This is work providing basic care of animals and animal facilities by completing primarily simple and routine animal caretaking and cagewash duties as directed by Operations Manager or their designee, which may occur up to 50% of the time of overall job duties and responsibilities. All actions are completed by strictly and consistently following applicable ACS SOPs including safety procedures and policies. Reports any suspected or actual deviations to SOPs or non-routine situations immediately to Operations Manager or their designee.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Cleans and sterilizes cages, equipment, supplies, rooms (primary and secondary enclosures, support areas, cagewash areas), etc.; prepares refuse for disposal or incineration.
- Changes cages transferring animals from soiled to clean enclosures making sure to maintain individual animal identity; feeds and water animals according to ACS SOPs and veterinary orders; documents activities performed.
- Observes and reports animals for signs of illness, injury, and physical and behavioral changes.
- Observes, documents, and reports changes in environmental parameters outside acceptable ranges, e.g. temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.
- Collects environmental monitoring sanitation samples for testing.
- Under supervision, performs euthanasia using carbon dioxide with cervical dislocation as a secondary method.
- Restrains and handles animals for treatment.
- Identifies incoming animals and houses according to specific requirements; maintains identification of animals using cage cards, tags, collars.
- Completes cagewash activities and animal caretaking checklists, log, and documentation accurately and within appropriate time frames.
- May lift heavy animals, cages, supplies and/or equipment.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure and Certification
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.