This position manages a team involved in claims and litigation activities for the UF JHMHC Self-Insurance Program. Responsible for oversight of claims and litigation functions of UF SIP, UF Healthcare Education Insurance Company, Inc. (HEIC), and other state self-insurance programs managed by contract.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Directs the investigation and evaluation of claims and actions resulting from professional and general liability incidents.
- Directs and monitors the identification, investigation, analysis, and evaluation of medical and legal issues related to covered claims.
- Directs and monitors the investigation, analysis, and evaluation of medical and legal issues related to covered pre-suit and litigation claims asserted against SIP participants.
- Directs loss prevention efforts and initiatives to mitigate loss for protected entities.
- Advises and assists councils and committees on matters related to claims, litigation, and loss prevention activities.
- May perform legal work (if licensed to practice law), including preparing witnesses and representing covered entities.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate field or a law degree (J.D.) and four years of related work experience. A bachelor’s degree and seven years of related work experience may be substituted.
Licensure and Certification
If employees hold a J.D., must be a member in good standing of the Florida Bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
Reports to the executive director of the Self-Insurance Program. This position manages a team of claims and legal professionals and support staff.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.