Editor in Chief, University Press
Position directs the acquisitions department, including oversight of editors and other acquisitions staff. Position is responsible for strategic planning, operational effectiveness, project development, and administrative and financial management of the department.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
• Serves as part of the University Press leadership team.
• Leads the strategic planning for assigned areas and assists the Director in developing and implementing the overall departmental strategic plan.
• Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility.
• Assists the Director in formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
• Oversees the day-to-day operations of assigned area including the supervisor of departmental employees. Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in department services and programs.
• Develops and maintains productive working relationships with authors, the academic community, and the publishing industry.
• Identifies emerging trends, topics, and authors.
• Responsible for ensuring the all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
• Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or other appropriate administrator.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and four years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and six years of relevant experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
- Service Excellence
- Effective Communications
- Self-Directed Growth And Development
- Accuracy And Attention To Detail
- Organizational Communications
- Internal Communications
- Copywriting And Editing
- Research And Verification
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.