Large Animal Hospital Stable Assistant
Duties include cleaning and maintenance of facilities and equipment; preparing and sanitizing hospital facilities; stocking and monitoring supplies; occasional assistance in restraining and handling patients.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Maintain a clean/sanitary and functionally organized clinical service area in accordance with hospital protocols and Bio-Security directives including cleaning, stripping, scrubbing and disinfecting stalls, hallways and procedure areas.
- Utilize chemical cleaning and disinfection agents in a safe manner.
- Loading, handling and disposal of trash, bio waste and hazardous material. Assist with laundry service.
- Maintaining and managing supply inventory and replenish stock including shavings, feed and hay.
- Keep facilities in good condition (making repairs as needed), and maintains hospital, barns, fences and grounds in an attractive, sanitary and functional manner appropriate for public visitation.
- Proactively monitors grounds including weed and pest management, mowing pastures, fertilizing, dragging and watering grounds as needed.
- Notify Veterinary Care Manager of any facilities or equipment in need of repair.
- Perform and track maintenance service checks and repairs to assigned equipment.
- When needed, under the direction of Veterinary Technician staff, assist with feeding, grooming, restraining or exercising patients and administer topical medications and hydrotherapy including loading and unloading.
Education and Experience
One year of experience handling and restraining horses and one year of experience utilizing equipment in farm facility maintenance.
Licensure and Certification
Detailed and precise supervision from Veterinary Care Manager. Instructions are both written and oral. Minimal supervision is required but supervisor is normally available for advice and consultation.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.