Security/Fire Alarm Systems, Journeyman
Install, program, maintain, and repair security/fire alarm wiring and equipment. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field. Assist in performing a variety of tasks. Provide support services to other trades. Work under general supervision, exercising a certain degree of ingenuity and latitude. Participate in the Career Progression Program (CPP) through the Physical Plant Division (PPD). Equivalent to Level III technicians in the Entry through Level IV CPP classifications.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Troubleshoot, install, maintain, and repair security/fire alarm systems, alarm devices, or related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans
- Drill holes for wiring in wall studs, joists, ceilings, or floors
- Perform system testing and preventative maintenance on security/fire alarm systems, devices, and equipment
- Work with the University Police Department (UPD), Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), and other agencies or departments to resolve reporting problems
- Begin complete, and pass fire alarm systems technician performance verification testing
- Support services for other trades; disable and enable security/fire alarm systems for contractors and other trades
- Review inventory needs and, when needed, initiate order request
- Enter data for work requests and time into the AiM work order system
Education and Experience
High school diploma and four years of appropriate experience; appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience
Pass exam for National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems Levels One and Two
Complete NCCER core
Licensure and Certification
Valid Florida driver license
Received: Immediate supervisor provides daily written and verbal instructions
Exercised: None; does not directly supervise others
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.