*This classification is reserved for the College of Medicine Regional Physician Network (RPN). Use of this title outside of the College of Medicine requires prior approval by Classification & Compensation.
Provides and manages direct patient care, including physical examinations, evaluations, assessments, diagnoses and treatment for a specified patient population.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive, nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provides full scope of clinical patient care and services which fall under field of training including but not limited to diagnosis, treatment, coordination of care, preventative care, and health maintenance to patients at UF Health Regional Network clinical sites.
- Works collaboratively with members of the healthcare team including pharmacists, nurse practitioners, and nursing staff.
- Reviews incoming reports (e.g. lab, x-ray, EKG) and follows up in a timely manner.
- Prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate to assessed medical conditions.
- Refers patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
- May manage the daily operations of a specific medical program or patient care unit.
- Directs and coordinates the patient care activities of nursing and support staff as required.
- Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
- As appropriate to the position, participates in specified health promotion, education and/or prevention programs.
- Participates in peer review, quality assurance, provider meetings, and other clinical and operational meetings as requested
- Assist in updating protocols and principles of practice, as requested.
Education and Experience
Valid Florida Medical License or Medical Faculty Certificate required plus four years of appropriate experience. Completion of a residency program may substitute for the required experience. Board certification in area of practice preferred.
Licensure and Certification
Valid Florida Medical License or Medical Faculty Certificate required. Board certification in area of practice preferred.
This classification may include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.