Veterinary Care Technician I
Under the supervision of a Veterinary Care Manager and Clinical Veterinarians, positions provide assistance to ensure that service goals related to research, husbandry and laboratory animal health and well-being are met.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs activities related to veterinary care as directed, including but not limited to: triage, assessment, treatment, sample collection, documentation, anesthesia and surgery support.
- Performs animal health treatments, ensuring clinical health records are complete and current.
- Assists with surgical and post-surgical monitoring and care assistance procedures.
- May assist in teaching and training classes, wet labs and special training sessions for Animal Care Services (ACS) staff, investigators and other customers.
- Provides technical assistance and support for ACS staff, investigators and other customers.
- Establishes working relationships and communicates effectively with University research staff and ACS staff.
- Processes incoming animals and assists in routine health maintenance and enrichment programs.
- Follows established protocols and procedures and ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and guidelines concerning quality assurance and laboratory animal care and use.
Education and Experience
Degree from an accredited veterinary technology program; or an associate’s degree and one year of experience as a veterinary technician.
Licensure and Certification
Veterinary Technician National Examination certification (VTNE) strongly preferred. Certification as Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) or above by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science will be required within 18 months of hire unless otherwise specified by supervisor.
Positions do not supervise.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.