Knowledge of relevant instructional design concepts and processes; ability to design instructional content to meet the learning needs of a target population.
Identifies the instructional designer's activities.
Describes the common instructional design methodologies.
Gathers information on an organization's instructional design cases.
Compiles a list of design tools for different instruction types (such as text- or web-based).
Participates in identifying learning needs of a given target population.
Defines instructional goals, performance objectives, and topics to be included.
Assesses the level and depth of subject matter against the knowledge and experience level of learners.
Selects delivery medium and technologies.
Participates in instructional design walk-through and content delivery tryouts.
Advises on instructional design for both large and small units of subject matter.
Creates detailed specifications for development, implementation, and maintenance of instructional design subject matter.
Coaches on assessment processes and how to determine topics appropriate for a given learning environment.
Evaluates the cost-benefit ratio of alternative instructional design models and methodologies.
Analyzes key considerations for conversion of CBT or classroom courses to web-based delivery.
Consults on alternative delivery methods and their implications for learning.
Mentors others on instructional design for diverse topics and populations.
Leads discussions on the differences of instructional designs based on cognitive versus behavioral models of learning.
Designs safety and ergonomic strategies for designing computer-delivered instructions.
Establishes best practices for instructional design and delivery mechanisms.
Leads the evaluation and selection of new instructional design methodologies and tools.
Creates a system to ensure the instructional content matches development needs, tools, and platforms.
- Tell me about your experience with instructional design.
- What is your process for instructional design? Do you create a plan? Define objectives?
- How did your organization select the delivery method for a training program?
- How did you match the level and depth of subject matter to the knowledge and experience of targeted learners when designing training courses?
- What kinds of difficulties have you encountered when involved in instructional design for a company-wide training program?