Animal Care Facilities Engineer III
Responsible for all ACS (Animal Care Services) facilities with regard to building maintenance and equipment. Oversees numerous maintenance contracts for facility biomedical and specialized equipment. Advises Director and Assistant Director, Operations on all construction, maintenance, and security issues within assigned facilities. Works with UF Environmental Health and Safety, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Physical Plant Department, and University Police Department on a frequent basis on matters biological security, regulatory compliance with animal care and welfare regulations, facility maintenance, and construction warranty issues. Works with PPD facility planning to obtain LEED certification for animal facility construction and renovation projects. Serves as a member of the ACS and UF/EH&S biosafety security and incident response team for University facilities on/off campus. Employee will be registered with the CDC or APHIS for access to select agents. Individual must be able to clear DOJ/FBI background checks. Responds to after-hours emergencies. May be assigned to on-call shifts.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs duties of Facilities Engineer 2.
- Serves as departmental liaison with the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Gainesville Fire and Rescue on matters of laboratory animal facility security.
- Assists USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service inspectors with federally mandated inspections of assigned facilities.
- Coordinates with the State Fire Marshall for any issue resolution within assigned facilities.
- Assists Director and Assistant Director Operations in preparing program description for federal inspectors and the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC).
- Works closely with the Director and ACS Business AD on research facility and equipment grant applications.
- Works with the department’s Assistant Director of Business and IT group to develop project management tasks and fund expenditures.
- Assists Director and AD Operations with new construction grants and building plans to ensure department and research construction and renovation needs are met.
- Serves as a member of the ACS and UF/EH&S biosafety security and incident response team for University facilities.
- Budgets for facility projects.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and four years of relevant experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and eight years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Knowledge of equipment and facilities used in lab animal research. Prefer experience with Animal Biological Safety Level 3 facilities and construction projects. Prefer controls and security system experience. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science certification preferred. Experience with SharePoint and Microsoft Office suite software preferred. Need excellent communication skills, verbal and written, with ability to work in a teamwork environment with peers, researchers, vendors, trades personnel, and UF staff. Prefer HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and controls experience. Prefer experience with facilities and construction project planning.
Licensure and Certification
FL Incinerator Operator certification within 12 months of hire.
UF Supervisory Challenge completed within 18 months of hire.
A valid state driver’s license.
AC Facilities Engineer, maintenance staff
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.