Animal Care Operations Manager III
Positions are responsible for providing direction and supervision for Animal Care Services (ACS) facilities. Under minimal supervision, coordinates and manages the daily animal husbandry operations of their assigned facility or facilities, both covered and non-covered species; ensures regulatory compliance with all federal, state and local laws pertaining to animal facilities. Provides direct supervision of assigned subordinate operations managers and animal care technicians performing routine husbandry and specialized duties within their assigned areas. Assists with ACS facility renovations, provides training for managers and husbandry personnel, oversees husbandry personnel evaluations and disciplinary process, assists other managers, Operations Manager, or Assistant Director of Operations with resource management and budgetary planning process; responsible for allocation of animal space to investigators in their assigned facilities. Assigned to weekend or on-call rosters.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Manages and coordinates assigned facilities operations for laboratory animal care and directs the activities of the supervisors/managers responsible for the various sub units.
- Ensures husbandry procedures/practices are in compliance with all Federal, State and local laws pertaining to laboratory animal facilities.
- Ensures that AAALAC standards are maintained for research animal care and the facilities.
- Oversees husbandry staff evaluations and disciplinary process.
- Coordinates work performance reviews to ensure that employees and managers address work progress and processes.
- Assists with regulatory compliance and quality control process and provides the Operations Manager IV and Assistant Director Operations with input for updating husbandry standard operating procedures and practices.
- Acts as the Operations Manager IV in their absence.
- Coordinates the timely placement of animal cage cards and ensures accurate animal census by husbandry staff.
- Oversees animal space assignments and animal transfers for investigators and resolves space assignment limitations with animal order requests to insure timely housing of new animal orders.
- Conducts interviews and provides input for hiring applicants for permanent/ temporary employment.
- Approves assigned staff time in PeopleSoft as well as overtime and weekend work.
- Assigned to weekend or on-call rosters.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area, three years of relevant experience, and AALAS LATG certification at time of hire. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
AALAS Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) certification within 15 months of hire. UF Supervisory Challenge completed within 18 months of hire. A valid state driver’s license.
Supervises other professionals and animal care technicians.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.