Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
Under limited direction of the University’s Assistant Radiation Control Officer, insure the proper implementation of the radiation safety program in University research laboratories and medical facilities on and off campus. Ensures University compliance with Federal and State mandated regulatory requirements for radioactive material use.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Maintains records with data bases and logs which are necessary to assure the University’s compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Performs pre-approval inspections of research laboratories and provides consultations with principal investigators and laboratory personnel in regard to the use of radioactive materials or radiation producing devices.
- Performs sealed source leak tests, analyzes samples and reports results.
- Participates in the performance of radiation monitoring in the field by using portable radiation detection instruments and in the laboratory by operating radiation measuring instruments.
- Keeps informed of state and federal regulations and guidelines relating to radiation health and safety.
- Contacts principal investigators and research laboratory personnel regarding items of non-compliance found during inspections and follows up on corrective actions.
- Participates as a lecturer in the Radiation Safety Short Course and other in-services as necessary.
- Performs patient and room surveys at UF Health Shands Hospital.
- Assumes other related safety and radiation control duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and five (5) years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.