Clinical Office Representative
Provide administrative assistance to a medical clinic. Triage patients and schedule appointments; screen and refers phone calls, and communicate and interact with patients; provide clerical, word processing, and staff support to the unit, and assist with clinical and/or laboratory procedures as required.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Receives, screens, interviews, and registers patients or clinical research subjects; takes and records vital signs, as appropriate to clinic operations; may assist with routine medical procedures, as appropriate to training and/or certification.
- Answers telephone inquiries from patients and others; screens calls to determine nature and urgency of inquiry, refers calls as appropriate, and/or schedules appointments with practitioners; instructs patients as needed regarding administrative and/or logistical procedures.
- Obtains patient histories, and insurance approvals as appropriate; prepares and updates medical charts and associated records, and enters patient data into files and automated databases.
- Arranges for prescribed laboratory tests, specialist referrals, and/or diagnostic procedures; orders, and may transport, drugs and/or other prescribed patient care aids as directed; performs or assists in the performance of basic clinical and/or laboratory procedures, as appropriate to the activities of the unit.
- Collects, verifies, records, and maintains data on clinical activity and/or research; prepares associated reports as required.
- Orders and maintains inventories of supplies, as required to support day-to-day unit clinical and administrative operations.
- Provides day-to-day staff support for the unit, to include preparing documents and reports, providing office services, scheduling and facilitating meetings and travel arrangements, and/or providing dictation or transcription services.
- Obtains and verifies patient billing information, as appropriate to the activities of the unit; processes patient accounts, and maintains records.
- Assists in maintaining the cleanliness and serviceability of unit facilities and equipment; arranges for maintenance and repair as needed.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent and one year of related experience.
Licensure and Certification
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.