Clinical Research Physician Assistant
Conduct and assist in the organization of clinical, epidemiological or community oriented research programs. Conduct examinations, administer treatment and/or medication in accordance with research protocol and evaluate outcomes of patient participation in research studies.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assist coordinator or principal investigator by planning and conducting nursing protocol of medical team research; write consent forms, maintain files in compliance with Food and Drug Administration’s regulations.
- Identify appropriate subject groups for research participation: determine eligibility, prepare Institutional Review Board applications, obtain informed consent, enroll patients in study; submit protocols to Institutional Review Board.
- Conduct physical assessments; take medical histories.
- Apply an advanced knowledge of a medical specialty area to assess patient reaction to treatment and/or medication and recommend course of action within the research parameters to the principal investigator.
- Evaluate effectiveness of biomedical equipment and/or treatment regimen in the context of the research.
- Assess family attitudes, living conditions, medical histories and financial status; establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and their families, professional or community groups and volunteers; maintain contact with public agencies which are involved in aspects of the research.
- Coordinate and evaluate the collection of research data; coordinate data management system for research data; create data collection tools.
- Conduct literature review, assist in the preparation of data for use in manuscripts for professional publication.
- Assist in writing grants and developing budgets.
- Instruct hospital and clinic staff in implementation of research protocol.
- May direct the work of support staff such as laboratory helpers, clinic assistants or clerical support personnel.
- Obtain and record research data in conjunction with physician and other professionals on the research team; interview subjects; review medical records; assist in planning nursing aspects of medical team research; write data collection tools.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and their families, professional or community groups and volunteers; maintain contact with public agencies which are involved with aspects of the research of general public health care; keep study files in compliance with Food and Drug Administration’s regulations.
- Determine eligibility of potential study participants; obtain informed consent; enroll patients in research protocol; coordinate all aspects of the patient’s care.
- Explain research protocol to participants; respond to patient inquiries regarding protocol; schedule patient participation; ensure compliance with research protocol; inform referring physicians of protocol requirements.
- Perform specialized tasks such as arterial puncture, venipuncture and operation of electronic monitoring equipment; assist with surgical or invasive procedures and process laboratory specimens as required.
- Administer treatment and/or medication in accordance with research protocol.
- Assess patient reaction to medications and/or treatments as part of a research protocol; identify potential adverse reactions.
- Collect, record, organize, transcribe and verify accuracy of research data; prepare data for computer input; perform mathematical and statistical calculations and/or analysis.
Education and Experience
Graduation from accredited Physician Assistant Program and two years of related professional experience.
Licensure and Certification
Licensed as a Physician Assistant in accordance with Section 458 and 459, Florida Statutes.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.