Core Research Facility Assistant
Perform the standard operating procedures required to execute the services provided by a core research facility; perform research activities based upon protocols developed by Core Directors or other core staff; work with other core facility staff or facility director in using the core facility’s specialized equipment or services. Customer service oriented with good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and plan accordingly to meet deadlines. Ability to tend to details. Ability to maintain records and inventories. Ability to operate a personal computer and proficient in MS Office.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists with collecting and disseminating data by operating the facility’s instrumentation, equipment, performing specialized services for researchers and assist with performing complex procedures and techniques.
- Operates facility instrumentation or equipment, evaluate data quality, and document results. Reads and reviews articles as directed by senior staff or the director for the purposes of improving the quality of the service.
- Performs intake functions for a core facility such as receiving and logging samples or requests for services
- Process orders or requests and generate invoices, Bill of Ladings and manifests as needed
- Communicates with internal and external clients in a clear and professional manner
- Assists in performing data analysis for researchers using specialized data analysis software in a form useful for further statistical analysis or publication; may assist in interpreting experimental data.
- Assists in providing education, training, and consultation to core facility users on highly specialized equipment or technology.
- May assist in providing advice and guidance in either self-service of full-service core facility.
- Assists in the preparation, calibration and maintenance of core lab and specialized core facility equipment.
- Maintains clear and accurate documentation of the protocols, instrumentation logs, and/or data collected by the core.
- Performs verification and validation of work processes as needed
- Initiates purchases of supplies and inventory for facility.
- May train, provide direction, assignments, feedback of employees to assure outcomes are achieved.
Education and Experience
Minimum high school diploma, AA/AS or BA/BS (preferred). Prefer minimum of one year in a science related field (not required). Broad knowledge involving laboratory techniques or specialized knowledge is desired. Additionally yearly certificate and compliance training if required.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.