Dental assistant certified as a dental radiographer pursuant to Rule 64B5-9.011, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.). Specialize in positioning dental radiographic equipment and exposing dental radiographic images consistent with national radiographic and radiologic guidelines. Work under a Florida licensed dentist’s indirect supervision pursuant to Rule 64B5-16.005, F.A.C.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive, nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Greet, screen, and direct patients.
- Confirm patients’ authorizations for radiographic examinations.
- Manage, report, and archive patient information in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Take film based and/or digital intra-oral and extra-oral radiographic images consistent with national radiographic and radiologic guidelines.
- Process and route film based and/or digital radiographic images.
- Review radiographs within guidelines.
- Assist, instruct, and monitor students in radiography procedures.
- Energize, calibrate, operate, and de-energize radiographic equipment.
- Troubleshoot hardware and/or software problems.
- Interact with vendors for equipment and/or software upgrades and troubleshooting.
- Coordinate equipment maintenance.
- Maintain quality and safety standards.
- Maintain work area cleanliness.
- Adhere to infection control protocols.
- Sterilize instruments and equipment.
- Properly dispose of infectious materials.
- Operate basic office equipment.
- Maintain inventory and order supplies.
- Ensure proper recycling.
- Assist co-workers, students, and faculty members (as needed).
- Perform miscellaneous duties.
Education and Experience
High school diploma
One (1) year of appropriate experience; appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience
Qualified in dental radiography pursuant to Rule 64B5-9.011, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.)
Licensure and Certification
Certification as a dental radiographer pursuant to Rule 64B5-9.011, F.A.C.
Work under a Florida licensed dentist’s indirect supervision pursuant to Rule 64B5-16.005, F.A.C.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.