Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Technician I
Perform triage for patients presenting on emergency and providing nursing care to critically ill patients. Assist clinicians with procedures and patient care. Responsible for helping students develop triage and critical care skills.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assist in providing clinical support to the faculty in the delivery and instruction of ECC care services for small animals.
- Provide restraint of patients without risk to patient, self, and others.
- Possess the ability to observe patients and recognize subtle changes in status.
- Perform physical exams on veterinary patients including TPRs, CRTs etc.
- Properly perform medical treatments on hospitalized patients including administering PO, IM, Sub Q and IV medications.
- Assist with clinical procedures and offer direction to others.
- Able to perform triage and direct students/clinicians.
- Able to check in a client after hours, enter charges, process payments, retrieve previous medical history.
- Able to maintain a clean and organized work environment Able to take diagnostic abdominal and chest radiographic films on patients.
- Able to perform drug calculations including CRI calculations and calculate fluid rates.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of veterinary experience or one year of veterinary experience and currently enrolled in a veterinary technician program or a graduate of a veterinary technician program.
Licensure and Certification
Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT) preferred.
Provides general instruction and review to veterinary students and veterinary assistants. May provide periodic instructions and review of student workers, volunteers, and OPS technicians in the absence of a professional staff member or higher ranking technicians.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.