Emergency & Critical Care Veterinary Technician Manager
Position manages the Emergency and Critical Care Service for the Small Animal Hospital. Oversees staff who have direct patient care responsibilities in the progressive care ward, intensive care unit, and emergency service. Is responsible for the training and development of staff especially those that are specialized in emergency and critical care. Develops, implements, revises, interprets, and enforces the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), company policies and procedures, and service standards.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Oversees technicians and staff who have direct patient care responsibilities.
- Manages staff and schedules to provide 24/7 patient care.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures.
- Furnishes input for budget planning and participates in budget monitoring and management.
- Is responsible for recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains by monitoring workload of functional areas, identifying peak and slack periods, and making operational or staffing adjustment.
- Maintains equipment.
- Oversees supply inventories for specific areas.
- Serves as working manager by actively participating and performing services when needed.
- Conducts employee performance reviews and handles personnel issues.
- Manages personnel training and development programs, including safety training.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree and six years of experience in emergency and critical care.
Licensure and Certification
Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT/LAHT) and VTS specialty certification required.
Receives general instructions and directions. Detailed and precise instruction is outlined in service protocols and procedures. Direction is outcome based. Meets regularly with supervisor to review performance, procedures, policies, and goals.
Provides general supervision and oversight of employees, other personnel services, students, volunteers, and support staff. Instructions are both written and oral.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.