Perform procedures, experiments, simulations, or investigations using the facility’s specialized equipment or services consistent with the facility’s protocols; operate the facility’s instrumentation, equipment, or performs specialized service for a variety of researchers and perform defined procedures and techniques; performs daily activities to prepare for experimental protocols and facility operation. Maintains operational policies and procedures.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provides training to facility users and staff on highly specialized equipment, research or technology.
- Provides user training in a self-service facility.
- Coordinates and manages equipment and facilities with users.
- Services, calibrates, and checks equipment for proper function.
- Performs periodic preventative maintenance on facility instrumentation.
- Troubleshoots equipment failures, procures repair parts, implements repairs, supervises field service and facility engineers, and tests equipment for proper function after repairs.
- Assists with trouble shooting, repairing, and testing of specialized facility equipment, computer systems and support equipment.
- Operates facility computer systems and specialized instrument control and analysis software, facility data server, and/or researcher’s data server accounts, data backup and archiving, and online reservation system and/or researcher’s reservation accounts.
- Remains current on emerging techniques, software programs, and instrumentation in field of expertise.
- May use new data analysis techniques or methodology.
- May evaluate new specialized computer systems and software.
- Performs administrative duties necessary for a fee-for-service facility operation, i.e., fee/charge entry.
- Helps collect variables to determine appropriate service charges.
- Adheres and contributes to facility safety and procedure policy.
- Participates in hiring staff and managing staff performance to assure staff is compliant with UF policies and procedures.
- Maintains compliance with Environmental Health and Safety and other institutional and governmental regulations.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent and four years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area.
Licensure and Certification
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.