Performs procedures, experiments, simulations, or investigations using the facility’s specialized equipment or services consistent with the facility’s protocols. Acquires data from the facility’s instrumentation or equipment, performs specialized service for a variety of researchers, and performs complex procedures and techniques. Consults with investigators about experiment design and recommends improvements. Creates, updates, or makes improvements to current protocols. Performs daily activities to prepare for experimental protocols and facility operations. Trains and supervises facility staff. Develops and maintains operational policies and procedures.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs advanced data analysis for researchers using specialized data analysis software in a form useful for further statistical analysis or publication.
- Provides advanced education, training and consultation to facility users and staff on highly specialized equipment, scientific research or technology.
- Provides advice and guidance in either a self-service or full service facility.
- Reviews methods sections of research papers related to facility’s specialty that will be submitted for publication.
- Coordinates and manages equipment and facilities with users.
- Services, calibrates, and checks equipment for proper function.
- Performs periodic preventative maintenance on facility instrumentation.
- Troubleshoots equipment failures, procures repair parts, implements repairs, supervises field service and facility engineers, and tests equipment for proper function after repairs.
- Provides technical support by trouble shooting, repairing, and testing of specialized facility equipment, computer systems and support equipment.
- Maintains the facility computer systems and specialized instrument control and analysis software, facility data server, and/or researcher’s data server accounts, data backup and archiving, and online reservation system and/or researcher’s reservation accounts.
- Remains current on emerging techniques, software programs, and instrumentation in field of expertise.
- May develop new data analysis techniques or methodology.
- May evaluate, recommend, and implement upgrade paths for new specialized computer systems and software.
- Performs administrative duties necessary for a fee-for-service facility operation, i.e., data analysis and delivery.
- May assist with cost analysis and budgets of facility
- Collects and analyzes variables to determine appropriate service charges.
- Analyzes facility use data for reports and make recommendations.
- Reviews and/or recommends specifications for new equipment or renovation projects.
- Adheres and contributes to facility safety and procedure policy.
- May be designated Safety Coordinator for facility.
- May supervise facility staff.
- Participates in hiring staff and managing staff performance to assure staff is compliant with UF policies and procedures.
- May develop and implement marketing and strategic plans for increasing awareness of the facility and the services provided
- Prepares written reports for supervisor and clients
- Manages compliance with Environmental Health and Safety and other institutional and governmental regulations.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent and six years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience; or Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience.
Licensure and Certification
Yearly certificate and compliance training if required.
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.