Hazardous Materials Coordinator
Serve as assistant to the Hazardous Materials Management Program Manager. Supervise the daily activities at the facility; hire and train staff, maintain records, collect and analyze data and ensure compliance with the Federal, State and Local regulations which govern the program operations.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assists in the daily operation and management of the Hazardous Materials Management Program and of the Hazardous Waste Management Facility. Acts as secondary Emergency Coordinator for the Hazardous Waste Management Facility and responds to campus hazardous material emergencies during and after regular work hours.
- Acts as a supervisor in the operation of the University Hazardous Materials Management Program. Organizes and schedules daily and weekly personnel resources in coordination with Hazardous Materials Program Manager. Supervises daily hazardous waste management operations.
- Interviews, hires, and trains TEAMS and OPS personnel to collect, package, process and ship chemical wastes.
- Maintains records in compliance with Federal, State and Local regulations; reviews facility operating record to ensure compliance with facility operating permit
- Collects and analyzes data as appropriate; tracks and compiles waste management data for reporting and review purposes; conducts chemical waste sampling and procures analysis for purposes of waste determination.
- Disseminates information regarding SUS/University rules, policies and contracts.
- Interprets and monitors Federal, State and Local regulations and development of operational policies to effectively manage chemical waste; conducts regular reviews of standard operating procedures to ensure they are in compliance with current Federal, State and Local regulations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and four (4) years continually responsible experience in Hazardous Waste Management. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.