Help Desk Representative I
UF Information Technology Classification*
Under general supervision, responds to and diagnoses problems through discussions with users. Includes problem recognition, research, isolation and resolution steps. Typically is able to resolve less complex problems immediately, while more complex problems are assigned to senior level support. May involve use of problem management database and help desk systems.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible for Tier 1 & 2 software and hardware support.
- Provides technical advice, guidance and informal trainign to customers using hardware and software programs.
- Troubleshoots and restores service by analyzing, identifying and diagnosing faults and symptims using established processes and procedures.
- Performs root cause analysis and develops checklists for typical problems.
- Recommends procedures and controls for problem prevention.
- Maintains knowledge database and call tracking database to enhance quality of problem resolutions.
- Works in a team setting, assists with incoming calls, emails and walk ins.
Education and Experience
A high school diploma and two years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibility.
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UFIT requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.