Information Security Engineer III
UF Information Technology Classification*
This is a professional level role that under general direction, contributes to the protection of university data and systems. The individual’s level of proficiency is intermediate, and they demonstrate a working or functional understanding of IT systems, computer networking, and cybersecurity detection and response practices.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive, nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- May lead efforts to identify, assess, and remediate security vulnerabilities in the university’s computing infrastructure.
- Evaluates the security of the university’s computing infrastructure by simulating attacks from malicious sources to identify potential vulnerabilities.
- May lead efforts to identify and assess current and emerging threats to the university’s computing infrastructure and initiates the appropriate response to identified threats.
- Evaluates, designs, implements, administers, and makes process improvements to various threat and vulnerability monitoring tools used to support the security program’s detection and response efforts.
- As a member of the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT), contributes to the execution of the university’s incident management plan in response to active security incidents, participates in the generation of required incident records, and aides in the collection and preservation of evidence while following chain-of-custody best practices.
- Collects and contributes to operational and management metrics required to support the university’s security objectives.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and six years of experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UFIT requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.