Information Security Engineer IV
UF Information Technology Classification*
This is a senior professional level role that under high level direction, contributes to the protection of university data and systems. The individual’s level of proficiency is advanced, and they demonstrate in-depth understanding of IT systems, computer networking, and cybersecurity detection and response practices.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- May lead efforts to identify, assess, and remediate security vulnerabilities in the university’s computing infrastructure.
- Evaluates the security of the university’s computing infrastructure by simulating attacks from malicious sources to identify potential vulnerabilities.
- May lead efforts to identify and assess current and emerging threats to the university’s computing infrastructure and initiates the appropriate response to identified threats.
- Evaluates, designs, implements, administers, and makes process improvements to various threat and vulnerability monitoring tools used to support the security program’s detection and response efforts.
- As a member of the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT), may lead or significantly contributes to the execution of the university’s incident management plan in response to active security incidents including coordinating the collection and retention of audit data necessary to support technical analysis.
- Maintains proficiency with forensic techniques and software tools necessary for incident handling.
- Works with university units to develop strategies and plans to achieve security requirements and address identified risks.
- Collaborates on IT projects to ensure that security issues are addressed throughout the project life cycle.
- Researches, evaluates, designs, tests, recommends, and plans the implementation of new or updated information security technologies.
- Defines, collects, and contributes to operational and management metrics required to support the university’s security objectives.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and four years of relevant experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and eight years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UFIT requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.