Laboratory Safety Program Manager
Direct and oversee a comprehensive, University-wide clinical and laboratory safety program designed to proactively ensure the minimization of risk related to non-compliance with regulations and policies governing the conduct of clinical and laboratory research. Implements guidelines established by the University of Florida and agencies of the State and Federal governments, and coordinates safety monitoring, compliance, and response activities for all University clinical and laboratory facilities.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Develops, implements, and coordinates a comprehensive clinical and laboratory safety program for the University to enhance institutional clinical and laboratory safety objectives and to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines, policies, and directives.
- Coordinates, assesses, and monitors the delivery of clinical and laboratory safety education and training for faculty, staff, and students who work in clinical and research laboratories.
- Monitors teaching and research activities for compliance with appropriate lab safety regulations, policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Informs and educates staff, students, and other constituencies regarding clinical and laboratory safety issues; develops comprehensive clinical and laboratory safety educational and outreach programs for UF’s clinical/research laboratories.
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training, promotion and enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Inspects research, clinical, and teaching facilities for compliance with regulations and guidelines pertaining to clinical and laboratory safety.
- Develops and implements emergency response procedures for clinical and laboratory incidents; develops criteria for clinical and laboratory safety; responds to clinical and laboratory incidents as appropriate.
- Serves as principal source of expertise to the University regarding appropriate equipment, facilities, and work practices for protecting clinical and laboratory staff.
- Provides technical guidance to faculty and staff in the development of safety plans for grant applications; advises facilities and physical plant staff regarding technical and programmatic issues involving clinical and laboratory design and maintenance; assists in reviewing plans for new construction and renovation for compliance with applicable building codes.
- Participates in and provides leadership to various internal committees and task forces; actively participates in external meetings and organizations, and maintains liaison with professional counterparts in other institutions.
- UF Chemical Hygiene Officer
- Conducts training programs to educate the university community about laboratory and clinic safety.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry or Biology and five (5) years of professional experience in Lab Safety and Clinic Safety.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.