Law Enforcement Captain
This is work managing* law enforcement operations or coordinating all special programs/events for a University Police Department.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Plans, organizes, and directs programs for sworn and non-sworn personnel.
- Assumes responsibility for law enforcement activities in the absence of higher level law enforcement administrators.
- Determines security personnel needs and assignments; serves as liaison with sponsoring organizations for special events.
- Directs special programs such as the Reserve Officer Program and other Police Auxiliary Programs.
- Directs the Field Training Officer Program; selects and assigns Field Training Officers to trainees and monitors trainee progress.
- Assists in budget administration.
- Pursues, apprehends, and arrests law violators or suspected law violators.
Education and Experience
Bachelors and five years of sworn law enforcement or sworn investigative experience. Must meet the requirements of Chapter 943, Florida Statutes*.
Licensure and Certification
This position does have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.