Licensed Mental Health Counselor
Assesses patient’s psycho-social needs. Develops and implements treatment plans, including coordination of services for inpatient, partial hospital or outpatient treatment. Modifies treatment plans as needed. Responsible for conducting all utilization management activity to ensure payment for admission and/or treatment. Ensures compliance with mental health laws.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provide psychotherapy services as needed for a range of mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, autism spectrum disorder, behavioral problems, and/or substance abuse.
- Serve high-risk families, including those whose children are at substantial risk of placement or who are in placement and cannot be reunified without in-home services.
- Schedule and complete client intake sessions within 24 hours of referral. Provide services primarily in client homes and other locations as needed. Schedule sessions at times that are convenient for families, and when problems are likely to occur, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Provide back-up for other therapists and collaborate with the medical psychiatrist when required.
- Provide a range of clinical and advocacy services to family members that are consistent with the family’s values, learning styles, lifestyle, circumstances and culture. Collaborate with family members and referents in developing intervention goals and service plans.
- Conduct comprehensive, strength-based and behavior focused assessments. Utilize research-based cognitive/behavioral strategies to facilitate behavior change.
- Provide supervision to trainees as appropriate for license requirements.
Education and Experience
Master’s or Doctoral degree or in social work, psychology, mental health counseling, or related field.
All State of Florida requirements met for a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), with two years post-degree supervised experience.
Licensure and Certification
License Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
This position may include supervisory duties.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.