Provide general medical care and treatment to patients in accordance with collaborative guidelines, collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory studies and professional consultations and provide direct patient care services.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs physical examinations and/or diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, as well as orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the data in the patient’s record; write progress notes and narrative discharge summaries; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings.
- Formulates comprehensive health management plans for patients in collaboration with physicians, pharmacists, and other medical professionals.
- Prescribes and/or recommends medications and treatments to patients.
- Provides physician and pharmacist referrals to patients in need of further medical care and services.
- Participates in meetings, functions, events, and committees, as well as in a team of interdisciplinary health care providers.
- Provides education and instruction to residents and students.
- Contributes to the development, implementation, and expansion of programs and initiatives.
Education and Experience
Graduation from a Physician Assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).
Licensure and Certification
Licensed as a Physician Assistant in accordance with Chapter 458, Florida Statutes.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.