Research Administrator III
Directs and manages the development and administration of complex proposals to federal, state, and private funding agencies within a college/school/department/program for sponsored projects.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provides post-award financial administration and management for complex research funds.
- Provides policy and procedure interpretation to academic departments and prepares specialized reports to federal and sponsoring agencies.
- Interprets regulations and guidelines of program funding for complex grants and contracts and prepares renewals and periodic reports for grant agencies.
- Reads and interprets contracts and other award documents to determine budget, invoicing schedule, restrictions and other pertinent information.
- Provides pre-award support which includes reviewing requests for proposal (RFP) and identifying the specific requirements and policies are met while ensuring the policies are within or consistent with those of UF; prepares accurate budgets for each proposal
- Provides technical assistance to PI and research administration staff..
- Interacts with sponsors and staff to resolve problems and correct errors in fund management.
- Processes invoices and provides Principal Investigator with reports of grants and contracts to ensure expenses are being paid according to contract.
- Analyzes expenses, develops cost projections, and provides financial tracking and fiscal control to fulfill reporting requirements.
- Ensures collection of revenue through accurate presentation of invoices.
- Provides basic accounts payable support and control for sponsored projects.
- Monitors final reporting requirements.
- Responsible for preparing, interpreting, negotiating and accepting agreements for projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations and other public and private sources.
- Advises the Principal Investigator on the most effective way to achieve an effective, quality proposal and coordinates a timely submission process, ensuring appropriate approvals.
- Manages the review of grant and contract awards terms and conditions.
- Reviews proposals for compliance with sponsor and University terms and rules, and review, negotiation and acceptance of resulting grant awards.
- Participates in the negotiation with grant and contracting officers to substantiate budget requests and to secure terms and conditions, which are consistent with policy.
- Confer with investigators and campus administrators to ensure that changes or corrections are made as needed.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in grant and contract administration; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.