Direct, develop, and coordinate the University-wide implementation of integrated risk management, loss prevention, insurance, and claims programs or processes. Assess the potential for loss to the University and consult with leadership on the appropriate management/mitigation of such risks. Plan and develop in conjunction with State of Florida Risk Management information systems and data in support of insurance claims and policy management. Plan and implement directions, strategies, and procedures for meeting department goals, and serve as principal point of contact and liaison with internal and external constituencies on risk, insurance, and claims functions. Promote enterprise risk practices and coordination between University safety, financial, and human resources departments to prevent loss and reduce risk. Oversee the procurement and management of statutory self-insurance and select specialty insurance programs. Provide investigation support to the State of Florida in claims against the University and participate in the review of all litigation. Review and analyze data and devises risk minimization programs.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Provides leadership and direction in all areas of a risk assessment, loss control, including strategic planning and campus wide collaboration.
- Advises the University community on appropriate risk management policies, procedures, and issues of campus safety, focusing on prevention.
- Plans and develops strategies for a comprehensive risk management program that includes appropriate performance records of all risk management programs.
- Integrates risk management programs to ensure compliance, promote quality, and minimize University losses.
- Recommends, participates in the development of, and implements related University policies and procedures; advises University planning and policy committees on risk management issues related to facility design and construction.
- Recommends and participates in the management and resolution of risk-related claims and litigation, GL/AL/WC coverages.
- Recommends and assists in the development and coordination of self-insurance specialty insurance programs.
- Serves as a member of the University’s risk liaison group to the State of Florida Risk Management Division.
- Keeps abreast of pending regulatory developments through reference sources; obtains insight on legislative agendas at State and Federal levels.
- Represents the organization and the University to various institutional constituencies, as well as externally to corporations, government agencies, and other colleges and universities, as appropriate.
- Directs and oversees the planning, development and administration of all insurance and claims activities of the organization.
- Coordinates with of the University’s Workers Compensation program to promote loss prevention planning.
- Develops and maintains the University real property inventory for insurance purposes and premium development.
- Develops and manages the liability, property and claims program.
- Reviews on-going campus needs for insurance and coordinates economic acquisition and provisions of insurance; makes recommendations and participates in the planning and provisions of new insurance services.
- Oversees the coordination of providing information to claimants, University representatives, adjusters, attorneys and insurance companies.
- Oversees and manages the collection and maintenance of claims data and records; develops and provides regular and ad hoc reports for the analysis of loss data, together with recommendations regarding loss control and prevention initiatives.
- Oversees the tracking and maintenance of accurate data on certificates of insurance, property and vehicle inventories and valuations for insurance purposes and makes changes or recommendations for changes as needed.
- Coordinates and conducts campus-wide Risk Management training sessions, as appropriate.
- Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and safe operation of the unit.
- Assists with the development and management of annual operating budgets for the unit.
- Represents the organization at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and five (5) years of experience in insurance and risk management; OR a Master’s degree in risk management and three (3) years of related experience.
Licensure and Certification
ARM, CRM, and/or CPCU designations preferred.
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.