Sponsored Programs Administrator I
UF DSP Classification*
An entry-level position within UF’s Division of Sponsored Programs responsible for learning and facilitating a wide range of sponsored programs administration activities.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
Preparation and Submission of Proposals
- Coordinate and support faculty and staff in the preparation of proposals being submitted to federal, state, corporate, and other funding agencies.
- Review proposals for accuracy and compliance with federal, state, university and sponsor regulations.
- Ensure that university policies, such as the F&A Policy, Cost Sharing Policy, PI Status Policy, Effort Policy and others, are followed.
- Review proposed budget for compliance with guidelines; check budget details for accurate reflection of line items and use of proper indirect cost rates.
- Submit proposals on behalf of the University of Florida.
- Appointed a University Signing Official for proposal submissions.
- Learn and maintain knowledge with university and sponsor electronic research administration systems in order to ensure timely and compliant proposal submission.
- Point of contact for post submission of proposal materials requested by sponsors.
- Review and negotiate grants, contracts, awards, agreements, non-disclosure agreements, data use agreements, and other agreements or documents relating to research, training and other sponsored programs.
- Evaluate compliance concerns in awards such as cost accounting standards, cost sharing, human use, animal use and safety, data storage, training.
- Interpret and apply federal and sponsor policies and regulations to determine acceptable conditions of awards including such areas as: Effort Commitments, Conflict of Interest, Export Controls, Cost Principles, human use, animal use and lab safety.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and records for each award or agreement.
- Ensure awards are consistent and meet standards that are designed to assist adherence to UF policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the initial award set-up using the University of Florida Integrated Research Support Tool (UFIRST).
- Prepare and distribute UF’s official internal award package to the award’s Principal Investigator (PI), Department administrative staff, and Contracts and Grants Accounting (C&G); approve the award to be established in the UF accounting system and the project activities to commence.
- Maintain knowledge with university and sponsor electronic research administration systems in order to ensure timely and compliant submission of post award activities.
- Review and facilitate award change requests including re-budgeting, pre-award costs, carryover of unobligated balances, and no-cost-extensions.
- Assist when needed with the preparation of subawards and subcontracts that are issued to subrecipients under prime federal or non-federal grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts.
- Maintain positive and productive business relationships within the University and with its Sponsors.
- Participate in the shared responsibility for ensuring responsible stewardship for funds provided by external sponsors.
- Maintain a high level of professional knowledge through self-study, research, and participation in professional development.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in research administration.
Licensure and Certification
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UF Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP) requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.