Telecommunications Engineer I
UF Information Technology Classification*
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UFIT requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
This entry level position is responsible for applying engineering concepts to all aspects of UF’s structured cabling systems, fiber plant and network support infrastructure. Validates planning, design, installation, and maintenance activities affecting UF’s telecommunications infrastructure. Develops new practices for the installation of telecommunication systems, evaluates new products and technologies for their appropriate use within UFIT infrastructure, and conducts special study projects for design or planning purposes.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive, nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Create and review reports, construction drawings and construction specifications for the installation, implementation, or modification of telecommunications systems and/or physical support for telecommunications systems.
- Review preliminary and final drawings and specifications for construction work to determine compliance with UF Telecom Standards, established best practices, industry standards, codes, and regulations.
- Prepare high level estimates and budgets for projects.
- Prepare design and construction documents based on the results of wireless surveys and models.
- Survey campus telecommunications facilities for proposed building system repairs, replacements, or new installations.
- Develop, maintain, and enforce UF Telecom Standards and UF Design and Construction Standards to reflect best industry practices and procedures.
- Survey buildings and campus outdoor locations for proposed wireless installations and wireless system expansions.
- Perform post-installation wireless surveys to confirm installed wireless systems provide the desired coverage and performance.
- Research new technologies, devices, and installation processes to improve the performance and/or reduce cost of the university’s telecommunications structured cabling system and supportive infrastructure.
- Research and develop technical data to evaluate telecommunications engineering environmental options relating to voice, video, data, and physical plant.
- Prepare reports for Management, which identify, substantiate, and quantify the nature of problems and the appropriate recommendations for solution.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.