The veterinary assistant works with veterinarians and technicians to provide patient care and administrative support in the Small Animal Hospital. This position works under immediate supervision from a manager as well as supportive oversight from veterinarians and technicians. Provides basic patient care and administrative support as directed.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Basic animal handling such as restraint.
- General care and feeding of patients.
- Venipuncture/ sample collection/catheter placement under the supervision of a technician.
- Facilitate scheduling of procedures and appointments.
- Clean and maintain the treatment area.
- Sample submission.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure and Certification
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.