Veterinary Hospital Anesthesiology Technician III
Administer anesthetics to veterinary patients, including but not limited to domestics, exotics, and large animals. Instruct veterinary students, fellow technicians, and other personnel in veterinary fields in the administration of anesthetics and the use of anesthesia equipment.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Administers all types of anesthetic agents to patients in the operating suite including inhalation, intravenous and balanced anesthesia.
- Observes the condition of the patient during anesthesia, monitors and records blood pressure, pulse and respiration, and keeps a written anesthesia record for each anesthetic administered.
- Assist with recovery, including extubation and administration of post-operative analgesic therapy.
- Assist with restraint and administration of anesthetic agents for large animal patients.
- Perform more advanced anesthesia duties with minimal supervision during on call/emergency.
Education and Experience
Credentialed veterinary technician and VTS specialty certified in specific area.
Licensure and Certification
Certification or licensure as a Veterinary Technician and active Veterinary Technician Specialist Certification in Anesthesia.
Received: Detailed and precise supervision from clinicians, supervisors or higher ranking technicians. Instructions are both written and oral. Minimal supervision is required but supervisor is normally available for advice and consultation.
Exercised: Provides general instruction and review to veterinary students and lower ranking technicians. May provide periodic instructions and review of student workers, and OPS technicians in the absence of a professional staff member or higher ranking technician.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.