Veterinary Operating Room Surgical Technician II
Assist with surgical procedures as needed, performs routine and surgical nursing care functions on animal patients such as surgical preparation, aseptic technique, and pre-surgical treatments.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assembles surgical supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
- Prepares surgical instrument table.
- Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
- Maintain prep room and OR suites.
- Assist with student orientation.
- Properly package and wrap instruments in accordance with hospital specifications.
- May require working alternate shifts, holidays or “on-call duty”.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience
High school siploma or equivalent and two years of appropriate experience or college coursework in a related field.
Licensure and Certification
Provides general instruction and review to veterinary students and lower ranking technicians. May provide periodic instructions and review of student workers, and OPS technicians in the absence of a professional staff member or higher ranking technician.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.