Veterinary Operating Room Surgical Technician III
Assist with surgical procedures as needed, performs routine and surgical nursing care functions on animal patients such as surgical preparation, aseptic technique, and pre-surgical treatments. Shares expertise and acts as a team leader.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assembles surgical supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
- Prepares surgical instrument table.
- Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
- Maintain prep room and OR suites.
- Assist with student orientation.
- Properly package and wrap instruments in accordance with hospital specifications.
- May require working alternate shifts, holidays or “on-call duty”.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Service Resource – Shares expertise and acts as a team leader.
- Trains and mentors other staff.
- Instructs co-workers as needed regarding daily tasks. Acts as a trainer and information resource for staff.
- Makes recommendations for improvement in internal policies and procedures. Assists supervisor with staff schedule; oversees the call center when the manager is out.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent and four years of appropriate experience or college coursework in a related field.
Licensure and Certification
May provide general instruction and review to veterinary students. May provide periodic instructions and review of student workers, and OPS technicians in the absence of a professional staff member or higher tanking technician.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.