Veterinary Operating Room Surgical Technician Manager
Position oversees operating room services in the Small Animal Hospital. This includes the operating room suites and sterile supply. Is responsible for developing staff to provide support for surgeries performed, overseeing equipment and supplies, and managing the budget. Develops, implements, revises, interprets, and enforces the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), company policies and procedures, and service standards.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures.
- Furnishes input for budget planning and participates in budget monitoring and management.
- Is responsible for recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains by monitoring workload of functional areas, identifying peak and slack periods, and making operational or staffing adjustment.
- Serves as working manager by actively participating and performing services when needed.
- Maintains equipment performance by establishing quality standards; developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures; ensuring staff compliance; certifying instrument performance; and arranging equipment replacement, service, and repair.
- Maintains supply inventories by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders; and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conducts employee performance reviews and handles personnel issues.
- Manages personnel training and development programs, including safety training.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree and six years of relevant experience or appropriate college coursework in a related field.
Licensure and Certification
Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT) or CVPM or a degree in surgical technology preferred.
Receives general instructions and directions. Detailed and precise instruction is outlined in service protocols and procedures. Direction is outcome based. Meets regularly with supervisor to review performance, procedures, policies, and goals.
Provides general supervision and oversight of employees, other personnel services, students, volunteers, and support staff. Instructions are both written and oral.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.