Veterinary Technician II
The veterinary technician II works with veterinarians, fellow technicians, and assistants to provide patient care and administrative support in the Small Animal Hospital. This position works under immediate supervision from a manager as well as supportive oversight from veterinarians. Performs technically skilled patient care and is responsible for service-specific tasks. Assists with training of students and lower level technicians.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Assist in providing clinical support to doctors and other technicians.
- Animal handling.
- Treatment of patients.
- General care and feeding of patients.
- Venipuncture/sample collection/catheter placement.
- Assist in diagnostic work-ups such as scheduling radiology procedures.
- Clean and maintain the treatment areas.
- Sample submission.
- Assist students in learning basic technical procedures and protocols.
- Receive and return calls from clients and rDVMs.
- Perform and monitors sedated and anesthetized patient care.
- Assist in complex procedures.
- Assist in sterile procedures.
- Teach students technical procedures and protocols.
- Coordinate scheduling and flow of patient care.
- Perform specialized procedures or diagnostic testing as relevant to service needs.
- Training of staff, students, interns, and residents.
- Provide advanced customer service for clients and rDVMs.
- Recover patients.
Education and Experience
Credentialed veterinary technician and four years of veterinary experience.
Licensure and Certification
Credentialed veterinary technician
Provides general instruction and review to veterinary students and lower ranking technicians and assistants. May provide periodic instructions and review of student workers, and OPS technicians in the absence of a professional staff member or higher ranking technician. May assume intermediate supervisory authority for and train subordinate veterinary technical staff assigned within the clinical service section.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.