Maintain, alter, and repair lighting, motors, controls, electrical distribution systems, and mechanical systems involving voltages up 480 volts (V) alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC). Perform advanced troubleshooting on distribution system and controls, and support small projects. Troubleshoot and preventatively maintain standby generator sets and fuel tanks. Perform related work (as directed), maintain the work area, and maintain records. Begin and complete the Electrician Level IV Curriculum through the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Preventatively maintain emergency generator sets and fuel tanks
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot (advanced), and repair electrical motors, generators, distribution systems, control systems, and related electrical and mechanical equipment involving voltages up to 480V AC or DC; supports small projects
- Begin and complete the Electrician Level IV Curriculum and hands-on training through NCCER
- Maintain, alter, and repair power appliances, light machinery, lighting fixtures, and electrical circuits in existing facilities; install fixtures and appliances in new construction
- Maintain, alter, and repair existing wiring; install conduit for electrical systems in accordance with the National Electric Code (NEC); assist in pulling cable for primary systems; and install new wiring
- Locate and correct power failures and short circuits
- Drive state vehicle or walks to customer/trouble location
Education and Experience
High school diploma and four years of appropriate experience in electrical work; appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience
Licensure and Certification
- Florida Class E operator (driver) license
- Currently NCCER Certified Plus in trade or pass NCCER knowledge verification.
- Complete CORE and a trade specific Critical Task Assessment within 6 months.
- Will not directly supervise
- Team Lead for three or more employees
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.