Engineering Technician II
This position supports engineers and other members of the university community by performing routine engineering, architectural, or mechanical tasks. These activities include but are not limited to the preparation and layout of machinery/equipment or planning the flow of work. Responsible for the fabrication or construction of parts, equipment, or structures by operating machinery, tools, and equipment. This position works under the general supervision. Typically demonstrates an intermediate knowledge of moderately complex tasks. The position is responsible for completing tasks and assignments in their assigned area of responsibility. Intercepts and implements operating principles and practices. Responsible for complying with workplace safety policies and procedures.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible to engineers or principal investigators for the implementation of the design plans.
- Responsible for the selection of materials and equipment based on operational and performance specifications.
- Performs inspections, tests, and calibrations of equipment and materials as required by protocols or work plans.
- Operate drill press, grinders, lathes, or other machines to modify or fabricate parts, equipment, or structures as required by specifications.
- Performs the assembly or disassembly of tools, systems, or research equipment.
- Documents results or take samples for later analysis.
- Assess and identify faults, adjusts or repairs as directed
- May interpret engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- May work as part of project support team in the laboratory, or in the field.
Education and Experience
High school diploma and three years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.