Engineering Technician III
This position is responsible for complex engineering or architectural tasks. This position typically demonstrates advanced knowledge of complex tasks. These activities include but are not limited to the preparation and layout of machinery/equipment or planning the flow of work. Responsible for the fabrication or construction of parts, equipment, or structures by operating machinery, tools, and equipment. This position works under general supervision and may serve as a project or team leader. Serves as a subject matter expert and may assist in design. Provides direction for appropriate implementation of plans. Presents ideas, concepts, and instructions to achieve desired results. Develops new techniques or procedures to achieve desired outcomes. Responsible for complying with workplace safety policies and procedures.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible to engineers or principal investigators for the implementation of the design plans.
- Evaluates the selection of materials and equipment based on operational and performance specifications.
- Performs inspections, tests, and calibrations of equipment and materials as required by protocols or work plans.
- Operates drill press, grinders, lathes, or other machines to modify or fabricate parts, equipment, or structures as required by specifications.
- Performs or oversees the assembly or disassembly of tools, systems, or research equipment.
- Documents results or takes samples for later analysis.
- Assesses and identifies faults,
- Adjusts or makes repairs as directed
- Interprets engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Provides operational training to lower level staff.
- Participates in the planning process and provides input into decisions affecting the facility’s operations, maintenance and repair, and technical task/project execution.
- May work as part of project support team in the laboratory, or in the field.
- May serve as a team leader of lower level staff.
Education and Experience
High school diploma and three year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may supervise as a team leader of lower level staff.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.