FLMNH Museum Preparator
Prepare vertebrate fossils and manage the vertebrate paleontology preparation laboratory in the department of Natural History at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Assist in supervision of excavations; responsible for preparation, molding, casting, and restoration of vertebrate fossils; work closely with students and volunteers, and participate in public programs.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Prepares and restores newly discovered specimens, and conserves previously collected specimens, in support of research by the FLMNH Vertebrate Paleontology Curators and Collection Manager; provides an essential component to the process of curation of fossils into the collection.
- Makes molds and casting reproductions of specimens for Vertebrate Paleontology research, disseminates results, and conducts public outreach including education and exhibits.
- Purchases and maintains materials and equipment, and other tasks, associated with and essential to the effective operation of the preparation laboratory in a healthy and safe environment.
- Trains and supervises students and volunteers in the preparation laboratory.
- Assists with logistics and collection in vertebrate paleontological field work.
- Researches and experiments with new methods and materials used in preparation and conservation of vertebrate fossils in order to keep current with (and contribute to) these components of the science; attends meetings of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Preparators Symposium and related workshops.
- Assists Vertebrate Paleontology Curators in reports and writing grants for collection and preparation laboratory improvements..
Education and Experience
A Master’s degree in geology, biology, or other relevant discipline; or a bachelor’s degree in geology, biology, or other relevant discipline and two years of fossil preparation experience in an established laboratory.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.