Provide a pleasant outdoor environment in all seasons by ensuring that university grounds are attractive, orderly, and healthy. Landscape or maintain grounds using hand or power tools or equipment. Care for plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs. Utilize knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field. Rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Operate powered equipment, such as chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws
- Edge lawns and string trim grounds using edgers and string trimmers
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes
- Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws
- Gather and remove litter
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, or other grounds features
- Water lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans
- Trim or pick flowers and clean flower beds
- Rake, mulch, and compost leaves
- Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers or foliage
- Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, or shrubs and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools
- Decorate gardens with stones or plants
- Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes
Education and Experience
Completion of the ninth grade
Licensure and Certification
Driver license may be required (if duties dictate)
- Work under direct to general supervision
- Will not directly supervise others
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.