Provide a pleasant outdoor environment in all seasons by ensuring that university grounds are attractive, orderly, and healthy. Operate vehicles supporting groundskeeping efforts. Landscape or maintain grounds using hand or power tools or equipment. Care for plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs. Utilize familiarity with commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Performs turf mowing functions on large farm type and turf tractors with implements such as mowers, fertilizers, edger’s, tillers, and leaf sweepers.
- Operate automobiles, vans, and pick-up trucks
- Perform minor maintenance, such as checking and adding fuel, water, oil, and air; checking brakes; changing tires; and cleaning/washing vehicles
- Load, unload, and deliver equipment and/or supplies
- Operate powered equipment, such as mowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes
- Gather and remove litter
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools
- Water lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans
- Trim or pick flowers and clean flower beds
- Rake, mulch, and compost leaves
- Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers or foliage
Education and Experience
Completion of the ninth grade and one year of relevant experience
Licensure and Certification
Classified driver license appropriate to the type(s) of vehicle(s) operated
- Work under general supervision
- Will not directly supervise others
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.