Harn Museum Collections Assistant
Provide support for the organization and perseveration of art collections including monitoring of storage facilities and maintaining recordkeeping.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Manages offsite storage facility, monitoring climate, conditions, and warehouse activity on a regular basis.
- Monitors storage and gallery climate conditions on site and work with facilities staff to maintain appropriate temperature and humidity levels.
- Coordinates the logistics for the shipment of collection objects, including tracking all collections objects sent for conservation.
- Works in collaboration with Registration department, specifically the Registration Assistant, to contribute to the ongoing process of cataloguing and rehousing collection objects;
- Facilitates all collections conservation, including the purchase of supplies needed for the collections care and management.
- Ensures appropriate cataloguing, including at least a record image, for all collection objects; conducts regular inventories of collection; performs data entry of object information into The Museum System.
- Performs simple cleaning of objects with guidance of collections and registration managers.
- Coordinates with Registration Assistant for Academic Programs to help make objects available to outside scholars and internal staff.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, museum studies, or in a related field.
Licensure and Certification
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.