Harn Museum Registrar II
Under supervision of the Art Museum Registrar III, organize and manage the museum’s art collections, coordinate exhibition designs and loans, and support departmental administrative duties.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Maintains collection records and documentation, such as managing incoming and outgoing loan paperwork and all exhibition-related documentation.
- Manages all routine loan object processing, including cataloging, photographing, condition reporting, labeling and storing objects, routine inspections, and reports.
- Communicates with registration, preparation, and curatorial staff to keep all parties apprised of exhibition and loan requirements.
- Assists in design and exhibition installation/deinstallation; coordinates light sensitive and gallery rotations.
- Oversees handling, packing, movement, insurance, transportation, and inspection of all objects entering or leaving museum, including in-house and traveling exhibits; composes condition reporting to determine if damage or deterioration of objects.
- Arranges for insurance of objects on loan or special exhibitions, or recommends insurance coverage on parts of or entire collection.
- Coordinates incoming and outgoing individual object loans for in-house and traveling exhibitions; negotiates loan agreements.
- Trains and supervises the work of assistant registrars, interns, and volunteers.
- Assesses material needs and orders supplies for the registration and preparation departments.
- Assists Senior Registrar in developing procedures for and maintenance of Collection Management Database, developing annual departmental and exhibition budget, and maintaining accurate departmental policies and procedures.
- May serve as a courier accompanying valuable objects of art in transit as required; supervise loading and unloading of crates at airports, borrowing museums and other venues; may oversee installation of objects
- May serve on Harn committees and participate in other administrative projects as needed.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate specialization and two years of appropriate experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position may have supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.