Perform any combination of light/general cleaning duties to maintain private households or commercial establishments, such as hotels and hospitals, in a clean and orderly manner. Duties may include making beds, replenishing linens, cleaning rooms and halls, and vacuuming. Utilizes knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Works under direct to general supervision. Typically reports directly to a Custodial/Housekeeping Supervisor or Custodial/Housekeeping Manager while working under the oversight of a Housekeeper III. May report directly to a Housekeeper III.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Carry linens, towels, toilet items, and cleaning supplies, using wheeled carts
- Disinfect equipment and supplies, using germicides or steam-operated sterilizers
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, and other work areas so that health standards are met
- Empty wastebaskets, empty and clean ashtrays, and transport other trash and waste to disposal areas
- Observe precautions required to protect hotel and guest property and report damage, theft, and found articles to supervisors
- Replenish supplies, such as drinking glasses, linens, writing supplies, and bathroom items (soap, toilet paper, etc.)
- Clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies, using vacuum cleaners and shampooers
- Dust and polish furniture and equipment
- Keep storage areas and carts well-stocked, clean, and tidy
- Wash windows, walls, ceilings, and woodwork, waxing and polishing as necessary
- Sweep, scrub, wax, or polish floors, using brooms, mops, or powered scrubbing and waxing machines
- Move and arrange furniture and turn mattresses
- Hang draperies and dust window blinds
- Lift and move lightweight objects and equipment
Education and Experience
Completion of ninth (9th) grade
Licensure and Certification
- Works under direct to general supervision
- Does not directly supervise others
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.