Leads and/or supervises other employees. Responsible for maintaining locks, keys, and security systems. Duplicates keys, repairs, replaces, opens, and re-keys locks. Changes lock and safe combinations. . Ensures that all security devices are in adequate working condition. Utilizes familiarity with a variety of the field’s standard concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Works under general supervision. Primary job functions require exercising independent judgment. Directs, leads, and/or coordinates the work of others. May directly supervise others. Spends less than 80% of work time on supervisory, managerial, or leadership duties. Exercises a certain degree of creativity and latitude. Typically reports directly to a supervisor or manager.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Lead and/or supervise a team of employees; direct, lead, and/or coordinate the work of others
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using key cutting machines
- Cut new or duplicate keys using impressions or code key machines
- Disassemble mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repair or replace worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools
- Keep records of locks and keys
- Set up and maintain master key systems
- Insert new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combinations
- Install door hardware such as locks and closers
- Move picklocks in cylinders to open door locks without keys
- Install alarm and electronic access systems
Education and Experience
Completion of an approved locksmith apprenticeship program; or a high school diploma and two years of appropriate experience. Appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
Driver license may be required (if duties dictate)
- Works under general supervision
- Directs, leads, and/or coordinates the work of others; may directly supervise others
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.