Network Engineer I
UF Information Technology Classification*
This entry level position is responsible for planning, implementing, designing, analyzing, and maintaining layer 1 – layer 3 network infrastructure.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Identifies resources required for network designs including upgrades, expansions, and enhancements.
- Configures and installs network hardware and software to meet requirements and conform to technical Design Standards.
- Analyzes network efficiency by conducting network tests and running diagnostics to forecast performance thresholds. Monitors and reports on network traffic, usage, and performance.
- Reviews network changes and trends forecast future needs at the building or small campus level.
- Determines and corrects moderately complex network problems.
- May work on building or small-campus design recommendations and problems.
- Determines feasibility, cost, equipment needs, and time constraints/allocations for assigned projects.
- Mentor and trains Network Technicians.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities
*Reserved Classification – Use of this classification outside of UFIT requires prior approval by Classification and Compensation
- Network Administration
- Network And Internet Security
- Network Architecture
- Network Operations
- Network Performance Management
- Networking/Communications Hardware
- Networking/Communications Software
- Problem Solving
- Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
- Web-Based Facilities And Tools
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.