This position is responsible for monitoring, tracking, and operating the University of Florida’s Central Energy Plants, including the electrical, steam, and chilled water production equipment.
Examples of Work
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Maintains proper cooling and heating temperatures, pressures, and flow rates in the chilled water and steam district energy systems to support the proper operation of building systems.
- Regulates the operation of plant equipment inclusive of chillers, fans, pumps, motors, VFD’s, piping leaks as a function of make-up water, deaerators, boilers, boiler feed water, air compressors and generators. Adheres to procedures for lock-out/tag-out and works with maintenance mechanics to reset equipment for planned and emergency outages.
- Conducts periodic inspections to ensure that all equipment and controls are operating properly and are in good condition. Takes and compiles routine plant readings and maintains production and consumption records. Receives, records and communicates information relevant to previous and following shifts.
- Reports defects, and recommends improvements, alterations and repairs to Operations Supervisor.
- Responds to problems and initiates emergency communication protocols as appropriate. Complies with safety procedures. Responds to problems with other utility systems on campus, including distributed steam and chilled water, potable water, reclaimed water and sanitary and electrical services.
- Maintains the plant in sanitary and orderly condition. Coordinates plant operation with other utility or energy companies or departments as needed. Assists Operation Supervisor and Plant Superintendent as required.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Licensure and Certification
This position does not typically include supervisory responsibility.
To see common career pathways for each position at the University of Florida please visit the Career Paths section of the UFHR website.